Tuesday 26 February 2013

Now this is where it gets good...

It feels like it's been a long winter.  The weather has been wet and cold which has made for some particularly foul riding conditions.  Having said that, I've covered a good distance over the past few months.  I generally managed to get out most weekends and I've commuted through all the weather had to throw at me, all helping to rack up the base miles.  It has seen some casualties.  I've worn out and broken quite a few bits of kit!

But today the sun is shining and the skies blue.  Much as it was when I went out for the Sunday ride with the Stewartry Wheelers, (there is a new website in the offing!) a local cycling club I have recently joined.  Clubs are a great way to meet other like minded people and to discover some new roads or trails.  It can also get you access into the local race scene which is in rude health here in Dumfries & Galloway.

The South West Scotland Cycling Project is a little gem of a race series organised across the region.  It offers riders of all ages and abilities the opportunity to try out different forms of racing from road to XC.  I've raced XC before but never road.  That all changes in a weeks time!  My first road race is coming up (well, technically it's a 3 man team time trial) on the 2nd of March, then there's some XC the following weekend (Saturday) and a road race on the Sunday!  I am really quite excited.  I have no idea what to expect on the road - other than it hurting quite a lot, but I'm looking forward to the experience.  If I can get through without getting dropped I'll be happy.

The Scottish XC series also gets underway in march with the first round in Forfar in Angus - I'll hopefully be there, ably demonstrating how to mince round a race course.

It's looking like being a pretty busy season!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment